SMALL BUSINESS SEO
SEO STARTER GUIDE FOR SMALL BUSINESSES
Neel Sarode, Chief of Marketing, MSM
22 March 2016
Are you a small business owner looking to up-your-game when it comes to online awareness? If so, this starter guide is for you.
As I write this, the world is changing, faster than ever before.
As technology rapidly expands, the entire battlefield that small businesses fight on is constantly changing and evolving. Traditional tactics to grow businesses (ex. Billboards, Television Advertisement, Flyers, etc) are becoming obsolete as the entire world’s eyeballs shift to the internet.
Did you know in the year of 2017, people spent an average of 5+ hours a day on their phone each and every day?
That’s more attention than television, billboards, and flyers combined, giving small businesses a great place to increase awareness and find new customers.
To keep your business growing and prosperous, it is absolutely essential to take advantage of the changing
Sounds a bit daunting?
Don’t worry, I’m here to give you an entire run-down, so you can start your journey of taking your business to the next level.
“The value of an idea lies in the using of it”
– Thomas EDISON – GENERAL ELECTRIC FOUNDER
First things first, let’s talk SEO. Now if you’re wondering what on earth SEO could be, here’s a little explanation on it.
WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT SEO?
Simply put, SEO = Search Engine Optimization. It’s the act of getting your business to show up on major search engines, such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
Search engines are where your potential customers look for the solutions to their problems
Whether it’s a man with a cavity searching “Dentists near me” or a lady with a broken pipe searching “Plumbers in my area”, the verdict remains the same:
These potential customers are always on the internet, and use it to solve their problems as efficiently and
That is why it is IMPERATIVE for your business to show up on Google when they search for these things, so you can solve their problems, improving their lives and in turn improving yours.
We’ve now established why SEO is so important. Now let’s get to the
WHAT TO FOCUS ON:
- Website – You need your site to be well-structured, quick to load, and mobile friendly.
- Content – The content on your site needs to speak to the customer about how you can solve their problem
- Content Marketing – Using informational articles and resources can get you shown to a more broad audience
- On-Page SEO – Optimization of Page Titles, Meta Descriptions, and Alt-Texts (nerd talk)
- Local SEO – Local businesses should consider the best optimization practices to show up locally
- Authority Building – Build backlinks that will link back to your site to create authority on Google
- Credibility – Testimonials, reviews, case studies, etc.
A strong SEO Strategy means a strong online presence.
A strong online presence means more customers for you.
Now you must be wondering
It all depends on what
results you want, and how quickly
Of course, SEO can definitely be done by you and you alone.
If you already have a website for your business, it’s likely you’ve already done a bit of SEO without even knowing it: ex. your website’s name, domain, page titles, your address, service, etc.
However, as times have changed, SEO requires a lot more intensive, code-based tactics that will allow your website to outrank all your competitors (who are probably also currently using old methods).
The best option is to have a professional do the job for you, so you get the absolute best results as quickly as possible.
Still though, since this is a starter guide I want to provide you with some resources so you can at least see what the entire process is, even if you don’t attempt to do it yourself.
At least you’ll be an educated buyer, right?
Here are a couple resources for your reference:
- Moz Beginners Guide to SEO
- Search Engine Land’s Guide to SEO
- Local SEO Guide — How to rank your local business
- Backlinko Link Building Guide — 2017
The point I’m trying to get across here is that although there are parts of SEO that you can indeed do yourself, a skilled professional is required to truly take your SEO to a level that will outrank your competitors and give you good results.
If you can, definitely use a professional.
Before I close this quick starter guide off, I want to give you guys a small SEO Checklist to ensure that however you do your SEO, you do it the best.
- Sign up for Google Search Console
- Sign up for Bing Webmaster Tools
- Create a Google My Business listing
- Do heavy keyword research
- Organize your keywords by pages
- Use long-tail keywords
- Test your keywords using a PPC service (advertising)
- Optimize your page titles and meta descriptions
- Get backlinks on your business partner’s sites
And that’s that! Your official introduction to SEO is finished.
We have many more useful articles that can help your business, so please check them out.
If you have any questions on what I mentioned in this article, please send me a message using the Contact Us page! I’d be glad to help.
If you decide you’d like us to be the professionals to help your business prosper, please checkout the Pricing page to see your options.
Till next time!
Want new articles before they get published?
Sign up for our newsletter to recieve the latest & most effective strategies and tactics to take your small business to the next level.